Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Je peux coudre 1

Translation: I can sew.

Clarification: I can sew simple things.

Recently I sewed a simple white tunic top with ruffles. The ruffles were pretty easy. Making and sewing bias tape was a new experience, but it wasn't too hard. Hardest part about it was attempting to turn the ties without a tube turner. I tried using a small knitting needle, but it went through the fabric. Long story short, I actually didn't want the ties super long... yes, I'm sticking with that story... and they're kind of stuffed at the ends without being turned fully. All in all I'm quite happy with the results. And it all started with raiding my mom's fabric stash... and she has a stash... but you can make such pretty things with it... I'm in the process of building my own :)






It's been raining for like, I don't know, two weeks? But lately it's been actually feeling like spring- it actually got to 70F today. And it was so sunny it was kind of hard for me to get decent pictures, especially wearing white and being so pale... but I tried... and then I tried editing so you could see the ruffle details and such. Needless to say, the lighting's a little off. Hope they're decent enough :)



When I left this morning it was still a little chilly so this is how I styled it- with a chambray button down that's a discard from my mom. Not sure of the exact year it's from... but it could be vintage (20yrs old). Love taking something old and making it new again :)


This is the pattern I used to make the tunic.




I also styled it with my wisteria branch bangles- made from actual branches that I selected from clippings destined for the green waste bin. I hand cut and formed them and allowed them to dry for several weeks. Then I wrapped embroidery floss around and hot glued the ends and added a charm; it says "mother earth".


Linked up here:

Iron Violet Designs

3 comments:

  1. This blouse is beautiful! I love it...I'm a freelance clothing designer and love to see other girl's out there rockin' their mad skills...Way ta go! =)
    Kristina J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! By the looks of it you definitely have some mad skills too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That doesn't look so simple to me, color me impressed. Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete