Friday, March 4, 2011

Le Début

So, my first post and here goes.
I decided to start this blog for 3 main purposes.

1) To promote my new Etsy shop BellesdeMichelle featuring handmade jewelry and accessories, hand knitted cowls/scarves, etc. I love creating new things and if you don't see exactly what you're looking for, or if you want something in a different color, pattern, etc. please let me know- I'd love to create a custom item for you!
         visit http://bellesdemichelle.etsy.com






2) as a way to connect with the blogging world, instead of just drooling over the ridiculously long list of blogs I love looking at all day... or night

and 3) as a way to document and share various craft projects, thoughts, and pretty things that catch my eye

As a way to start it off, I thought I'd share a few pics of the gifts I made for my Dad's recent birthday. I find that guys, my father in particular are especially hard to find gifts for that they will like or actually use. Women tend to appreciate the pretty stuff for their art and beauty, jewelry to dress up an outfit, or accessories to accentuate a home. Men, on the other hand are much more practical, less aesthetic.

I decided to focus on things my father loves- wine and sunsets. He loves watching the sunset so much we even have a sunset patio to enjoy in the evenings. He also loves to document them and take countless photos. And wine... he loves it... and has saved I believe every wine cork he has ever encountered... needless to say, there was lots of materials at my disposal- and I love to upcycle and give something a new life!
    
I went on his computer and found some gorgeous sunset photos and modpodged them onto coasters I cut out of sheets of cork. Wow, I put on like half a bottle of the stuff and sanded a few times in between several layers, but I think they came out nicely, and definitely a solid layer on top of the photos :)



I also made picture holders out of wine corks by carving them out and hot gluing them together.


I'll try to get some finished pictures of the coasters and the picture holder with an actual picture in it. It's hard to tell with guys, but I think he liked them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment