Sunday, March 20, 2011

De Young Museum Trip in SF

On Tuesday I had the opportunity to go to San Francisco with my mom and some of her friends. We went to the De Young Fine Arts Museum for a special exhibit called the Bouquets to Arts. Basically it was a huge collection of floral arrangement pieces that were inspired by or based on existing pieces in the museum.

First off, I loved getting to go to SF. Granted we didn't have time to walk around- we all took a huge bus and only had 4 hours there- but even just looking out the window on the bus, I love all the architecture in the city, especially the Victorians.



This house looked so tiny compared to the others. Even the door to the gate looks so short.

Even though the main focus was the flowers, I couldn't help but marvel at some of the regular paintings. Especially the abstracts. Some of my faves:

Untitled XX (1977) by Willem de Kooning and Untitled (1949) by Mark Rothko


Rover's Garden Grows (1991) by Dale Chihuly and Italo Scanga; Ultramarine Stemmed Form with Orange (Persian Scenes) (1988) by Dale Chihuly
 I originally was just marvelling at the top half of Rover's Garden Grows... only after a moment did I even notice the bottom half... with Rover.

Here is one of the paintings next to it's accompanying floral arrangement. Love the colors.

And now, onto the flowers.




Not only were there conventional "arrangements" of flowers, but even things like a dog, a chair, and a dress either made out of or adorned with flowers. Such creativity! And so short-lived- as they are real flowers, the exhibit was only open for four days.



I love the bright colors... and random, but I'm pretty sure that fabric is from Ikea.


Even the space between exhibits is gorgeous.

On the way out, I found my fave pic of all, as my mom was telling me we had to get back to the bus. Can you guess what my favorite flower is? So bright and happy :)

P.S. can you tell I had fun experimenting with Picasa collages?

No comments:

Post a Comment